Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sassiness and a Gentle Word

Ok, so I've been thinking about this topic for awhile. Lee and I have talked about it recently. And now, I'm going to try and blog about it! It might be a little long....

I have been known at times (or more times than not!) to be sassy, sarcastic, and quick to make a "joke". Lee and I spend a LOT of time with young people, both with our jobs and our ministry, and that seems to be the culture right now. Say whatever you want to and then laugh it off as sarcasm and sassiness. Don't get me wrong, that can be fun and funny! I have been in stitches, even just recently, at the absurdity and hilariousness of sass. I have had others in stitches over my own sass. But it can also be hurtful. Please don't miss understand, this post is for ME, and ME alone. These are the things I, myself, have been convicted of.

I had an experience today, where I was taken aback and a little hurt over sass. It's not that persons fault. I've kind of let sass define our relationship at times. On top of the fact that I am tired, miss Lee, and am possibly PMSing, not a good combination. So I don't blame that person for my feelings being hurt. They are riding right there on the surface anyway! :) It wasn't even what anyone would have called a big deal!! But all that said, it got me thinking.......

Have I ever failed to be kind and thoughtful by having my automatic response be sarcastic or sassy, no matter how "honest" it is? It literally makes my stomach hurt to think that there is a very real possibility that I have. I know for a fact that my words have caused pain, hurt, and confusion, all for sassiness sake, all for a joke! OUCH!!! That hurts my heart!

As that realization came to me, I immediately thought of Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath." and Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."
Is my automatic response to any given situation gentleness, kindness, joy, patience? I have to admit, No! Even as I say that, I am begging forgiveness, from my Heavenly Father who commands me to be holy, and from anyone that I have ever allowed my words to hurt! I've been thoughtless and unkind, calling both those things sarcasm and sass, and sometimes "just a joke". I'm so sorry!! That is NOT who God wants me to be!

I am so grateful for confiction!! It's part of the sanctification process and means God is making me more like Him! Thank you, Lord!!!

Now, understand too that I don't think ALL sass is wrong, or even all sarcasm. It's just that from now on, I am going to strive to have my first response be one of love, gentleness, and kindness. Lord, help me stay true to my commitment. And by the way, I want others to keep me accountable in this area too! :)

No comments: