Thursday, April 8, 2010

I love the Psalms

David was called a man after God's own heart, yet he wasn't perfect. He struggled with the same things that I do. So often through the Psalms I hear my own heart, my own struggles. The Psalms are raw and honest. A desperate cry of the heart; whether that cry is out of sorrow, fear, anger, worry, stress, and anxiety, or joy, happiness, awe, amazement, adoration, praise, worship, and exaltation. Whatever it was, it was felt deeply and written by the God-inspired hand in honesty.
Isn't it wonderful, that a God who is so MIGHTY, SOVEREIGN, GREAT, and HOLY gives us the ability to feel emotion, to feel deeply? When I am seeking Him with everything I have, I feel more deeply and more honestly than my own humanness ever could. I love that. I love those God-given feelings of adoration, amazement, awe, joy, gladness, and love; and yet I am also so thankful for the conviction and deep burdens for the lost that come with it as well. I have been numb before. I have walked through life shut down so I wouldn't feel. I know what that is like. It's not fun. It's scary. It's lonely. It's dark. I am so thankful for feeling, for emotion! I love feeling emotion the way God intended. He gives us that ability so that we will, in turn, use all of that feeling to praise and exalt Him, to give Him all the honor, glory, and praise. It is those deep feelings that drive us to worship, that compel us to share Him with others, and that give us passion and purpose in Him!
The problem is when we let the enemy sneak in and we start to use those emotions negatively and they begin to take roots of pride, worry, fear, anger, and insecurity. God made us to feel. He made us emotional beings. He wants us to feel. We just need to be sure that we are using those emotions for the Father. We need to be sure that we are taking every thought captive to the glory of God. We need to be sure that we are seeking after Him alone! Then when, not if, those seeds of negative emotion try and sneak into our thoughts and minds, give them to the Mighty One. Turn them all over to Him in open honesty. Trust Him, He can handle it! He doesn't want us to shut down and make our hearts numb for protection sake. Let the Great Healer sooth those ugly raw wounds that those negative emotions rip open. He is such a balm to the hurting soul! He is our Rescuer, Deliverer, Shelter, Strong Tower, Refuge, Redeemer, Savior! That just makes me want to shout out loud!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

Today I read Psalm 68 & 71!!! Some particular verses that just really touched my spirit were ~

Psalm 68:3-6 But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God;
may they be happy and joyful.
Sing to God, sing praise to his name,
extol him who rides on the clouds
his name is the LORD—
and rejoice before him.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling.
God sets the lonely in families,
he leads forth the prisoners with singing;

Psalm 68:32-35 Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth,
sing praise to the Lord,
to him who rides the ancient skies above,
who thunders with mighty voice.
Proclaim the power of God,
whose majesty is over Israel,
whose power is in the skies.
You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary;
the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people.
Praise be to God!

Psalm 71:14-16 But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.
My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD;
I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.

Psalm 71:19-21 Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God,
you who have done great things.
Who, O God, is like you?
Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter,
you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
you will again bring me up.
You will increase my honor
and comfort me once again.

Psalm 71:23 My lips will shout for joy
when I sing praise to You-
I, whom You have redeemed.


There are no greater words to say, than to speak His own words back to Him!

1 comment:

kittyosmon said...

I also am giddy for Psalms right now! Psalms 84 specifically. Love ya!