Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hyper-Grace Believers and Name-it Claim-it Christians

They call us these names like it's a bad thing. How about we redefine these titles, shall we? Let's really look at what it is that we, as His church, are considering an insult.

Let's start with Hyper-Grace Believer. People, God's grace, in and of itself, is lavishly extravagant and unimaginably profound. There is no way that we as humans could ever comprehend it fully or be able to make it "hyper" outside the boundlessness that it already is. Jesus Christ came and died to completely forgive us of our sins; past, present, and future; and to free us from the condemnation and punishment associated with them. He paid our penalty in full on the cross. Then he conquered over sin, death, and the enemy forever, when He broke the chains of death and rose again. In His victory, came victory for us and made us overwhelmingly conquerors as well! THAT IS GRACE!!! Amazing, awe-inspiring grace! Grace that is greater than anything I could ever imagine.
I know, I know...they are saying that a Hyper-Grace Believer believes that they can do whatever they want and the Lord has already forgiven them so it's fine. Anyone who believes that this is, in fact, what we believe, has never fully known freedom and doesn't understand the grace under which they themselves stand. Coming into the understanding of what Christ did for me, who I am in Him, the freedom in which I live, and the grace under which I humbly walk every single day, makes me want to love Him better, to love others more, to serve Him with even more passion, and to walk in His power powerfully. This understanding has made me realize that there is nothing I can do that will screw up the plan of God. Sure I am not perfect, and sure I will make mistakes, but I am forgiven. Don't get me wrong, there are consequences to every choice we make, but those consequences don't define us, that choice does not define us, HE defines us, and He calls us forgiven and whole. When He prompts me and shows me where I need to change, that requires me to change, to turn away from that sin and to agree with the Lord that it was wrong, to thank Him for His forgiveness, and then to move on, taking one step in front of the other, knowing that I am fully and completely covered in the grace that fell on me when I gave my life to Jesus and He became my boss, my Lord, and my Savior. That means that when He shed His blood on that cross, it covered me, all of me, my past, my present, & my future in grace. If the knowledge of this makes me a "hyper-grace believer" than so be it.

So be it, friends.

Now, about the title Name-it Claim-it Christian. I know what the insulters mean by this. They think that this means that we view God as a big vending machine in the sky and that we will ask for selfish things like new cars, new houses, more money, etc..... And I understand why you would be skeptical, if this is how you view "name it claim it".
But let me tell you something that you might not realize yet, Jesus Himself tells us that we, in Him and in His power, can name it AND claim it! He tells us over and over again to ask for anything in His name and He will do it, so that the Father will be glorified. He tells us that we can say to mountains to move and they will.

  • John 14:13-15  "And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask Me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

  • 1 John 5:13-15 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of Him."

  • Mark 11:24 'Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

  •  Matthew 17:19-21 "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”


Church, that is awesomely, incredibly, shockingly name it and claim it. Not by your blinded definition, but by His perfect, holy, and oh so clear definition, that is exactly what it is. And that is just THREE verses, there are so many more that this blog post couldn't hold them all. Please, look it up yourself, I beg you! Study this truth! It will completely rock your world! 
"But," you might ask, "doesn't that mean that you will be selfish about it all? Aren't you afraid that you might ask for something wrong?" No. I live in the Spirit, knowing He is in me, with me, and works through me. I understand that I have power in Christ and part of that power is clearly written about in these verses. I am listening for His promptings and seeking truth in His Word. I will ask for and declare freedom for the captives, salvation for the lost, sight for the blind, and healing for the body. But let me be completely clear, if He tells me to ask for a car, a house, or more money, I'll do that too, because He loves me that much and His plan for me is perfect. He wouldn't ask me to ask for something if He didn't want to give it to me. He loves to bless us so that we can bless one another! If He tells me to ask Him for something "impossible" and to believe He will do it, I will, because I've seen Him answer and do the "impossible" before. If He tells me to lay hands on someone and declare their healing, then that's what I'll do, because He told me I could and should, and I've seen Him heal before. I know He tells me my words have power, so I will speak and declare His Word over myself, my home, my family, my husband, my marriage, and my children, fully confident that what I speak over them will come to pass, because He said it would. So, if these truths make me a "Name-it Claim-it Christian", then so be it.

So be it, friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying God's grace does not make you a hypergrace believer. You are a hypergrace believer if you believe that all sins past present and future are forgiven and that consequently you do not need to confess your sins. God does not actively forgive you since forgiveness is 'a done deal'. This means you have to reject a lot of Jesus teaching. If you think this you are 'hypergrace'.