Monday, March 28, 2011

Obedience

God didn't call us to question Him. He simply asks us to believe Him, trust Him, and obey Him. He has already proven His faithfulness to us time and time again. So why do we constantly shrink back from immediate obedience? I would venture to say it's a control issue with our sinful nature as it's base. At least that's how it is with me. The moment I can't see or even guess what's coming down the pipe, I dig my heels in and question everything. I begin to take back the things I've previously surrendered to the Lord. I begin to try and take back control, like somehow I can manage that situation better than Almighty God, the Maker of Heaven and earth...oh dear! The moment that happens, worry, stress, and anxiety begin to creep in and steal away peace and joy. And the thing is, He promises us that will happen...

Isaiah 48:17-18 " This is what the LORD says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.
If only you had paid attention to my commands,
your peace would have been like a river,
your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

He commands us to trust Him because He delights in us and He wants us to have peace...but more than that He commands it because He is the LORD, our Redeemer, the HOLY ONE. He is GOD and He is worthy of our surrender just because of who He is! But even in His holiness, He wants the best for us. His best might not look like what we thought it would, but no matter what, we must be obedient and totally surrender control.
He doesn't call us to be comfortable, He calls us to be obedient! Most of the time our very God-given purpose in life will take us so far out of our comfort zone that on our own it would be terrifying. However, praise God we aren't on our own! He is completely trustworthy and perfectly faithful! He promises to NEVER leave us or forsake us!
Now if only we would pay attention to His commands and follow them, we would have peace like a river! Now THAT'S a promise! :)

1 comment:

strong girls said...

Your words are so familiar. I like to have a plan for my life, and i can be very stubborn with things don't go my way. I wanted to have a baby just like everyone else. We struggled for 5 years, and then god blessed us with triplets. 2 years later we had our extra blessing, our son. At the time, I couldn't imaging where it was all going. Now i am amazed by Gods plan for my life.