Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Cake Baking Adventure!

I found a recipe on a blog for a Rainbow Cake and I was intrigued. When I was asked to bake a cake for Cassie and Adam's birthdays, I decided to give it a try! I documented my adventure in pictures!

First, make two boxes of white cake mix, according to the directions on box. Divide batter up into six bowls, add food coloring to each. Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. Bake each color separately in cake pans, greased and floured.



Let cakes cool completely!



Frosting ~ cream together 4 blocks of cream cheese, and a cup of butter. Add an entire bag of powdered sugar, slowly.

Sinful? Possibly! Incredibly DELICIOUS!? YES!!! Best frosting I have EVER had!!! I literally could have just eaten it with a spoon........but I didn't, of course! ;)



Start frosting cakes with the purple first! Frost top and lightly frost the sides. Next top with the blue cake, and do the same. Put in fridge for two hours or the freezer for one. (Don't skip this step! The cake becomes so tall that it is very important that each layer is fully set!) Repeat steps with the green, yellow, orange, and red cakes, putting cake into fridge/freezer after each layer.



After the red layer has set, use the remaining frosting and frost all over the outside of the cake. Decorate as you want! I'm not a decorator, so mine doesn't look very pretty on the outside!



The exciting part was when we cut it!
It is so pretty! And what a fun cake!



It tasted pretty good too!



I think that the Birthday people were happy with it, and that's what matters! :)



In the end, I was very pleased with how it all turned out. Was it fun? Yes! Was it extremely time consuming? Yes!! Was it worth it? Absolutely!

No comments: